Wednesday, December 21, 2011

School Is My Second Favorite Place To Get My Christ On!

  The following is a draft of an email I wrote last Friday.  It's in regards to my son and some issues he's having in one of his classes.  Still unsure if I'm going to send it, but I'm certain that I'm going to go down and speak with his counselor after the "winter break" is over.  He's complained on a couple of occasions to me about these particular kids giving him grief, and I've tried to offer him ways to deal with their ignorance.  I wanted him to feel empowered and unafraid of the criticism he may face by having other than mainstream beliefs (regarding anything.)  But it was apparent to me Friday when I got home from work that these occurrences are weighing heavier on him then I can tolerate.  It's a fine line I walk as an outspoken atheist and a father (an issue I've touched on in previous blogs.)  I don't want to intentionally expose my children to abuse of any sort.  Is 12 years old to young to be critical of religions?  Personally I think it's not.  To give this context, these events are happening in a history class and during the first trimester religions of the world were being learned about and discussed.   I'll keep the blog up to date with developments as they come in.  Any how, here's the email. 

Mrs. Xxxxxx, 

 I feel it necessary to contact you directly regarding events that I have been made aware that are occurring in your classroom.  My son feels that he is being bullied by other students in class.  He has informed me that students are verbally abusing him because of their religious beliefs. He has been continually mocked for having other than Christian beliefs, as well as recently (today, in your classroon) being told he is not "allowed" to celebrate Christmas because he doesn't believe in god.   He feels (as most bullied children do) that standing up for himself will only cause further abuse.  My sons personal views (meaning his views as a person, not his views to be held secret) should bear no weight on history as it's taught.

  Being a history teacher I'm sure that you are aware that none of the modern day Christmas traditions have anything whatsoever to do with Judeo-Christianity.  That the 25th of December has no historical evidence of being the birth date of Joshua the anointed one.  That Christmas trees come from pagan traditions, that one of the real and historically accurate reason the 25th of December is used was to cover up the and "Godify" the Roman holiday Saturnaila.   Being an educated person, I'm sure you're more then aware of these elementary historical facts.   I'm sure you can understand why a reasonable person would be upset to find out that their child was being chided in a public school by fellow students  (who openly identify as christians) for participating in a holiday that is more secular and pagan then christian.  And how, if things like this were happening in a classroom run by a reasonable and educated adult could a situation like this not be quickly resolved?  There's no way it would continue for three months, right?  I'm afraid it has and that's why I felt it prudent to contact you.

  I'm certain that you must have been unaware of the instances were my son was berated or belittled because of his personal views (again, I mean personal being his views as a person, and not views to be kept secret.)  Because if you were, I would have to think you would have made an attempt to at the very least curtail such nonsense.  Mrs. Xxxxx,  I find it interesting that my son is aware of your own religious affiliation.  I find it interesting in the way that I can't for the life of me see how that is relevant to teaching history.  It would almost have to be because you were asked directly by a student, right?  It couldn't be because you own personal convictions have seeped into your lesson plan, have they?  The former would imply a simple honesty that I could completely respect. The latter would imply a reprehensible lack of judgement on your part.   Which is it Ma'am?   

  I expect this to be the last time my son will  bullied in your classroom.  Now that you are aware (I will provided names of the offending students if you require) I'm certain you will be vigilant in your protection of all the children left in your charge.  Thank you for your time. 

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when I was in 9th.grade my algebra teacher would basically preach to us in class... I wish u the best of luck. As a child I was bullied even by teachers for my beliefs. I think u should send it. But do some grammar checking 1st lol. Very interested in how this unfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! Thanks Nick. I may have mentioned this was a "draft" but I also may have extended the reach of my vocab just a touch. I was pretty happy I kept it F bomb free. for a guy like me, that's one hell of an accomplishment! Thanks for reading and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah the almighty f bomb. I commend you for that accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete